From our Coach Andy
Hi everyone, a great weekend for getting out and doing some training. I am well known for saying I will only ride outside if I’m going to get a suntan and this weekend certainly delivered! Has anyone else been watching the virtual tour de France? If not, I can highly recommend it as a way to while away some ‘work’ hours this week. Never did I think to watch a ‘game’ could be so engaging – great commentary from GCN star Matt Stephens and Hannah Walker. Use this link to access the stages ridden so far. If you want to ride the new France/Paris sections yourself, on Zwift, then contact Olivier for the world calendar hack – again, I can highly recommend this as a break from Watopia!
With the week ahead looking good, at the moment, make sure you sign up early for lake swim slots. We will also continue to offer socially distanced spinning on Wednesday, plus our resumed weekend group rides – please refer to the email from last week regarding adaptations and amendments to group rides. If you are attending a session or ride, for any length of time, please make sure you have signed up on the poll. We must remain vigilant with our own track and trace procedures.
Open water swim set for this week: tips on open water technique
Straight into it, like race day – no warm-up
The lake loop is more like 450m, so just go with that. 50m = first buoy(ish), use the other buoys as the change points for pace, focus, and effort.
|Distance & intensity||Focus||Rest|
|[50m hard, off the start, 300m race pace, 50m hard finish]||Sighting, swimming straight, settling on to pace||1min|
|[100m light/technique focus, 200m race pace, 100m sprint]||Technique: Rotation & length, catch-up stroke, flat to finish||1min|
|[50m hard, off the start, 300m race pace, 50m hard finish]||Not compromising technique with harder effort & drafting||1min|
|[100m light/technique focus, 200m race pace, 100m sprint]||Finding a good race pace and rhythm||1min|
For those preparing for longer races, add 1km warm-up and/or warm down
Week 29 Training Plan
|Mon||13-Jul||Strength & Conditioning||6 pm setup
6:10 pm start
|Andy||Check emails for Zoom details|
|Tue||14-Jul||Run set||–||Andrea will provide||Outside (because we are allowed)|
|Yoga||6:15 – Setup
6:30pm – Start
|Louise||Check emails for Zoom details|
|Wed||15-Jul||Spin / Brick||5:15-6:15pm
|BTS Spin Studio, Langworthy Lane, Holyport|
|Thur||16-Jul||Swim||Self-led set: See set above. The focus is on pacing and sighting. Swim straight, swim fast.||At your chosen venue|
|Fri||17-Jul||Pilates||9 am – Setup
9:15 – Start
|Barbara||ONLINE – Details to be sent out|
|Sat||18-Jul||A Ride||9:00 am||TBC||Barry Avenue, Windsor – next to the ice cream hut|
|Sun||19-Jul||Endurance Run / IMVR 15 Olympic||Recommended Speed It Up/Negative Split! – 10km (6mi) done as 7km(4mi) @ 20s/km, 30s/mi slower than target race pace, speed up in the last 3km(2mi) to faster than race pace.
Reduce for beginner/sprint: 5km(3mi), 3km @ slower pace, 2km faster
Step up for 70.3 & IM: 15-20km(10-12mi) – same speed changes in the last 3km(2mi)
Please continue to follow advice on hygiene, social distancing, and lockdown procedures:
- Continue to train, as long as you display no symptoms of any illness
- Be aware of the training stress on your body. It is not advised to increase training load or stress at this time – if in doubt, keep training but don’t overdo it
- Exercise and training are advised as a way to maintain mental health, we are used to it and rely on it as a stress relief
- Eat healthily and maintain a balanced diet, especially when training
- Don’t train or meet up in groups greater than 6 – we still have to follow social distancing guidelines
- Club members must not attend a ride or group session if they
- have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
- have tested positive for coronavirus
- you live with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive
- someone in their support bubble has symptoms or has tested positive
- if they have been asked to remain at home by the UK Government test and trace system
- Anyone who meets any of the above criteria must follow government guidance on self-isolating and inform those they have been in contact with – if you need to inform the club, please contact Micheal Smyth our Welfare Officer.
Have a great week.